Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Smocking

I love to smock! I love creating those beautiful designs on gorgeous dresses. When my daughter, Elizabeth, was young, I smocked for her a lot and she wore the dresses until she was in first or second grade. Then came about 18 years or so of not having anyone to smock for except for the occasional gift. I missed it terribly, and concentrated more on sewing adult clothing, and teaching others how to sew. Now I have this wonderful granddaughter to smock for again, and I am loving it!

Smocking seems to be an old southern tradition, with many a little Charleston girl wearing the bishop dresses. Because I live in an historic area, I see smocking frequently on the little girls at church. Over the next few blogs, I hope to introduce the basic smocking stitches and create links to some of my favorite books, patterns and designs.

Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment