Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Never insult your customers

This really isn't about sewing as much as it is about customer service. The other day, my daughter and I took Zoe into a local children's specialty shop here in Mt. Pleasant. Elizabeth had never been in there before and I wanted her to see all of the pretty things they had. I won't mention it by name, but it is located on Coleman Blvd close to where I work.

We were oohing and aahing over everything, visualizing Zoe in some of the cute outfits, but mostly looking at accessories like hats and hairbows. This is a fairly pricey store, and with my expertise in sewing, I have a hard time paying a lot of money for things I know I can make for a lot less money, and they will be better made than what I can buy. And this particular day, I just wanted Elizabeth to see what they carried.

As we browsed through the store, the owner appeared from somewhere. She knows me, knows I sew, and we greeted each other cordially. Then a few minutes later, I heard her say, "Some people come in here just to see what we have."

I was stunned. She knows I could make anything in that store, but I was insulted that she would say something like that so I could hear it. Yes, I was looking to see what she had, but isn't that what shopping is all about? I frequently go into stores to "see what they have." Sometimes I buy, and sometimes I don't. I thought to myself, "maybe that wasn't really directed at me." My daughter did not hear her say this and I suggested we leave without buying anything. When I told Elizabeth what she said, she assured me that it was directed at me, and that she would never go back into that store. And neither will I.

I always think of things to say after the moment has passed, and I should have said,
"I am so glad your business is going so well that you can afford to offend your customers."

You see, "word of mouth" can be positive or negative. In this economy, I cannot imagine that any business has all of the customers they want. And I know a lot of people with children and grandchildren.

No comments:

Post a Comment